Today’s DIY Question

Faced or un-faced fiberglass Insulation?

by | Aug 28, 2012 | DIY Questions | 1 comment

John asked
Which type of insulation is used in walls? Faced or unfaced?
DIY Answer Guy
Hi John,

Un-faced insulation is usually used in interior walls for sound reduction, in floor joist over a crawl space, and in roof rafters in an attic. Whereas faced insulation is used on exterior walls. The faced side of the insulation faces the inside of the building and acts as a moisture barrier, in conjunction with a sealed plastic vapor barrier.

Let me know if you have other question or need help planning your DIY projects.